Friendly Banter

"Getting booted or stuck??"
Started by Belun on 9/17/2014 6:06:45 PM

Post a message on this topic

Belun
9/17/2014 6:06 PM
I posted this trick a little while ago, but it bears repeating. It just might be the little oomph your computer needs to stay connected in the game. It works exactly the same in all versions of Windows.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/configure-reservable-bandwidth-settings-windows

Belun
9/17/2014 6:11 PM
http://rbgeek.wordpress.com/2012/05/18/increase-bandwidth-by-disabling-qos-in-windows-7/

Just another article with almost the same instructions.
Belun
9/17/2014 6:24 PM
Oh, and despite what Microsoft has to say in that first article, I've never had a problem with updates downloading while using this setting.
Belun
9/17/2014 7:19 PM
Since I already have a thread going.. might as well throw this on here. This is for those applications that use a lot of RAM, such as media players, VLC WMP; video games files, etc.. It says it opens the RAM usage on 64 bit applications from 2gb to 4gb, but it also works better on x86 apps than the standard 2gb patch used by Explorer Suite and it's much easier to apply.

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php
Belun
9/17/2014 7:22 PM
er it is supposed to change x86 apps to 64 bit usage.. anyway it works great no matter what app you apply it to.
Belun
9/17/2014 7:31 PM
you can apply it to your browser, but due to updates that reinstall the .exe, it might not stay applied, or it might not be able to be applied to ones that have update flags just for that reason
orca
9/17/2014 10:53 PM
I have found that I sometimes get continually booted (as in 5 seconds after returning from every reboot). When this starts happening, I switch from Firefox to Chrome and the problem goes away. I should use Chrome for acro all the time, but sometimes I forget, and FF is set as the default.

This is on Fedora linux btw, I have no idea if it applies to Windows users. I'm guessing that Belun's instructions work for Windows, but just thought I'd post this info for anyone who might be using another platform.
Belun
9/18/2014 1:30 AM
Interesting.. I was using linux Ubuntu (Oneiric Ocelot) not long ago and Firefox on it worked great, even better after upgrading it from the outdated OS Firefox browser. Linux doesn't withhold bandwidth for updates though, as you do those manually yourself so there's no need for this trick on it. I found Ubuntu to be really good for using the internet. Finally after finding out how to change the old update list and getting WINE to work, it still would not run most of my apps and games were like slideshows. I may still install another partition just for it to surf and play acro and just use Windows for the other offline stuff.
Belun
9/18/2014 1:37 AM
There's another thing about Linux.. it causes disk error when it partitions your disk by changing the head sectors to be offset. You can correct it after installation by using FDisk to straighten it out.
Belun
9/18/2014 2:06 AM
Here's the address for the bootable Super FDisk iso. All you have to do to check for misaligned head sectors is boot it up and it will say if it has it or not and ask you if you want to correct it. I've saved a few harddrives with the secure erase function that could not be formatted and otherwise would have been junk too. I always run this before reformatting a disk now. It can fix anything except physical damage.

http://www.ptdd.com/manual2.htm
fuct
9/18/2014 3:36 AM

yes
yes i am!

since i dont get computers at all
i get the cincept

but there it ends

i migtht have to answer
one of those nice eastindian dudes who call them selfs western names

and get my windows fixed...

not
Belun
9/25/2014 3:26 PM
It seems to be more random than total connection anyway. I was able to stay connected just fine while having a download going that took up most of my bandwidth, while at other times I might get the boot for reason of low connection while I have nothing else going except the game in one tab. For me, it's a rare enough thing that it's no big deal. I'm just trying to help out others that you see bouncing in and out several times before they get stuck and then don't come back.
fuct
9/26/2014 1:56 AM

=0)

like my new smily fACE?

ANYWAYS I FOR ONE love randomness

it keeps everything from getting so boring
Belun
9/26/2014 3:08 AM
That is a cool emoticon. <]B^D
Belun
9/27/2014 5:51 PM
*C]:-) <- Had to put on my beanie.. it's getting colder.
fuct
9/28/2014 1:58 AM
*C=0)
Belun
9/29/2014 9:12 PM
lol

Post a message on this topic